Where to eat in Athens
1) Orea Hellas, is the oldest Kafeneion of Athens. You will find it in the aera Monastiraki.It has alway been a place where politicians and artists meet. Nowadays it is also working as a restaurant. I suggest you to come in the late afternoon for a Ouzo + Meze. See on Orea Hellas
2) For Pita Gyros, Kebab and Souvlaki Lovers an absolute must! In Monastiraki in Athens you will find a whole street full of Souvlaki and Gyros places. For ca. 4,50 you can have a fantastic Pita Gyros and a beer. A traditional and famous place is on the corner and is called Bairaktaris.
3) For an elegant lunch where you can meet the politicians of today, business men, or just friends coming back from shopping you have to be in in Athinaikon Restaurant, very close to the Syntagma Square. Please do not forget to book a table. The prices are very reasonable (main course vary from 10,00 to 13,00 euro). The service is fantastic.
4) A must go during your stay in Athens and in case you have a car .... Outside Athens there is small village called Kalivia. In this village you have ca. 12 big authentic Greek taverna's. You will eat Lamb of Spit and other grill specialities. The prices are good and food is fantastic. I selected Oxristroforos for you. Wow!
5) For good fish restaurants you have to go to Piraeus. Dourambeis is an excellent fish restaurant on a fantastic spot. It is open for lunch and dinner. You cannot find better.
6) I come to Greece for more than 22 years. I live in Greece ca. 5 month a year and I have never tasted a better Pita Gyros as in Tenekedakia in the area Chalandri in Athens. Really the best Souvlaki Place in town. Anyway Chalandri is a fantastic place for good food and nice bars.
7) Traditional taverna in the aerea Plaka is Stamatopoulos. Yes, it is tourist place, but anyway you are in tourist, is not it? Lovely place and good prices.
8) Very good fish resturant in Glyfada is Sardelakaki. Simple, modern, easy going and good.
9) In the city center, in the area Kolonaki you will find a traditional greek restaurant called Filipou. It is a great place for good and authentic greek food.
Taxi from the city center to the aiport costs euro 40,00 per way (30 minutes)
Metro ticket from city center to airport costs euro 10,00 per way (30 minutes)
Simple metro ticket in city center costs euro 1,40
Bus ticket Ktel (Kalamata Express) from Athens to Kalamata costs euro 25,00 per way (2,5 hours)
Museums in Athens
What to do in Athens